Everyday ChallengesThat are part of growing up.
Volunteer mentors (Bigs) provide mentees (Littles) with dedicated time and attention, typically 2 - 4 times a month, in the Community-Based program. During unstructured weekly or biweekly outings, filled with conversations and shared activities.
Creating a positive impact.
What do Bigs and Littles do together? Each match is unique. Getting together doesn’t require a special occasion or expensive activity—just a few hours every month doing things you already enjoy, such as:
• Playing catch
• Reading books
• Getting ice cream
• Going to a museum
• Playing Wii
• Baking cookies
• Playing board/card games
• Going to the park
• Going to the movies
• Playing basketball
• Going to the zoo
• Decorating pumpkins
• Playing kickball
• Just hanging out
See a world of possibility open up through the child’s eyes.
Over the course of time, children gain confidence in themselves, acquire new skills and competencies, and develop an enhanced capacity to care for others – all tasks that are a part of developing healthy maturity.
Volunteers experienceA sense of discovery and enjoyment.
Follow this link to enter your contact information and our staff will reach out to you!
• At least 18 years of age
• Able to make a minimum one-year commitment to spend four hours together per month
• Provide three references and pass agency-issued background check
• Must have a valid drivers license and proof of automobile insurance coverage with a single limit of $100,00 from any one accident
• In-person interview with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Siouxland program staff
• Complete a home assessment with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Siouxland program staff
• Complete in-person mandatory mentor training prior to acceptance into the program
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Siouxland currently serves the following counties:
• Woodbury County, IA
• Plymouth County, IA
• Union County, SD
• Dakota County, NE
Have questions about volunteering?
Professional staff is here to work with you, the child and the family throughout the course of the mentoring relationship to provide necessary training and support.